Pornography is more than just a bad habit; it is an addiction that can be as hard to break as heroin. For many medical professionals, there is not an official diagnosis for pornography addiction; therefore, some practitioners refuse to acknowledge it as an addiction in the traditional sense. At Theta Wellness Center, however, we know that based on the definition of an addiction—that it is a pleasurable or pain-seeking process, uncontrolled, and continues despite significant negative consequences—pornography is an addition. Mike Simpson, Diana Simpson, Dr. Stuart Porter, and Dr. Bonnie Warinski are here to help you overcome your pornography addiction in Sandy, Utah, and regain control of your life. Contact us at 801-590-7461 to get started with our doctors.
According to Alexa Research, the number-one search term used on search engine sites is “sex.” Users searched for “sex” more than other terms, such as “games”, “travel”, “music”, “jokes”, “cars”, “weather”, health,” and “jobs” combined. “Pornography/porno/porn” was the fourth-most searched for subject. Also falling within the top 20 search terms were “nude” (including “nudes”), “xxx”, “playboy,” and “erotic stories” (including “erotica”).
A study conducted in 2007 by researchers at Brigham Young University found that 21% of male college students view pornography “every day or almost every day,” and another 27% view pornography “1 or 2 days a week.” In March 2005 Christianity Today published the results of a study called “Christians and Sex” in their Leadership Journal. Out of 680 pastors surveyed, 57% said addiction to pornography is the most sexually damaging issue to their congregation.
According to the Journal of Adolescent Health, prolonged exposure to pornography leads to:
- An exaggerated perception of sexual activity in society
- Diminished trust between intimate couples
- The abandonment of the hope of sexual monogamy
- Belief that promiscuity is the natural state
- Belief that abstinence and sexual inactivity are unhealthy
- Cynicism about love or the need for affection between sexual partners
- Belief that marriage is sexually confining
- Lack of attraction to family and child-rearing
According to sociologist Jill Manning, research indicates pornography consumption is associated with the following six trends, among others:
- Increased marital distress and risk of separation and divorce
- Decreased marital intimacy and sexual satisfaction
- Increased appetite for more graphic types of pornography and sexual activity associated with abusive, illegal or unsafe practices
- Devaluation of monogamy, marriage, and child rearing
- An increasing number of people struggling with compulsive and addictive sexual behavior
The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (divorce lawyers) reports that the most salient factors present in divorce cases are as follows:
- 68% of divorces involve one party meeting a new lover over the Internet
- 56% involve one party having “an obsessive interest in pornographic websites”
- 47% involve spending excessive time on the computer
- 33% involve excessive time spent speaking in chat rooms
A recent article by Stanford Professor Dr. Philip G. Zimbardo highlighted current research which showed that video game and pornography addictions are inhibiting mens’ ability to have normal human relationships. This so called “arousal addiction” leads to continuous stimulation at the expense of other important parts of life. In extreme cases, even leading to death.
In the brain, quitting porn is chemically similar to quitting drugs.
Because a pornography addiction is chemically so similar to a heroin addiction, it follows that traditional pornography treatment approaches likely have about the same success rate as they do for heroin addiction, which is typically less than 10% clean after one year.
Theta’s Revolutionary New Approach to Pornography Addiction Treatment
At Theta Wellness Center, we use a drug-free, scientific, neurological approach to correct chemical imbalances in the brain, which are the root cause of common problems, including a pornography addiction. Theta combines several cutting-edge technologies in a single treatment program that has been clinically shown to produce results that are up to 3 times faster and 11 times more effective than traditional treatment methods, with a much lower failure rate than traditional sex addiction rehab centers. Some of these treatment tools include:
- Theta Chamber℠ therapy
- Binaural audio stimulation
- Visual stimulation
- Vestibular (motion) stimulation
- Whole Body Light Stimulation℠ therapy
- Relaxation techniques
Unlike counseling and therapy at other sex addiction rehab centers that teach addicted people “how to give up porn” or “how to stop porn addiction,” in a 12-step program, ThetaChamber℠ technology targets the hypothalamus, which is located in the limbic region of the brain. This revolutionary treatment effectively reduces or eliminates cravings, elevates mood, and reduces stress and anxiety.
Theta’s comprehensive Pornography protocol consists of two 90 – 120-minutes sessions a day, Monday through Friday, and one 90-minute session on Saturday and Sunday for 4 weeks (28 days).
More than 50 years of research, comprising nearly 200 studies dating back to 1959 as well as recent first-hand patient outcomes, have shown Theta’s treatment protocols to be safe and effective. As technology, science, and computers have advanced, these treatments have become more practical, less expensive, and easier to obtain. They are now available at every comfortable, professional Theta Wellness Center. At Theta, we know how to break porn addiction in the fastest, most effective way.